Frequently asked questions:
What services do you provide?
The Science Factory's services include:
* Editing. We offer advice and help where wanted, working in consultation with you to do as much editorial work as we feel is necessary in producing marketable ideas, proposals and manuscripts. And we are always happy to read and comment on chapters as your book is written.
*Sales. We discuss with you where we intend to place your project, working closely with you on strategy, submission and negotiation and keeping you promptly and regularly informed. Nothing is submitted to any publisher without your approval, and we convey responses from editors directly to you. After submission, interested editors will often ask to meet the author before they make an offer. We brief you on what's likely to be discussed at these meetings, and offer to accompany you if you so wish. Once an offer is on the table, we talk to you about the strengths and weaknesses of the publisher or imprint that has shown an interest.
*Marketing and publicity. We monitor the publisher’s handling of your work, including such details as packaging, advertising and publicity. If a dispute arises, we can mediate between you and your publishing house.
* Film and television. We track all aspects of the commercial exploitation of your project including film and television rights. We liaise closely with radio and television producers as well as a select number of film and television agents. We also revert rights where the licensee is no longer exploiting them.
* Foreign sales. Depending on the individual project, US and translation sales are handled either directly by us or through leading subagents and co-agents around the world (their commission is paid by our agency). We also also represent our authors at major international book fairs and make regular selling trips to the US and Europe.
* Legal. We draw up and negotiate all contracts internally, based on precedents negotiated over the years with each publishing house. We also monitor copyright.
* Accounts and taxation. We handle all author payments, requests for VAT, foreign tax-exemption certificates and so on, and generally act as your financial watchdog throughout the life of your work. We check royalty statements and chase overdue accounting, paying monies owed to you promptly on receipt. All client money is held in a trust account separate from the funds of the agency.
|THE SCIENCE FACTORY IS POWERED BY STEVE ACCESSIBILITY HELP W3C RSS|